Thursday, December 23, 2010

Holiday Music, Vacation + A.J in music

Hopefully I will have some time to put significant research into this blog during the week I have off.

I am officially on vacation as of yesterday at 2 p.m. (!!!)

Here is a tune I jammed out to with two clients yesterday, really got them moving, lots of fun!
All I want for Christmas is You!

I had a day of really great sessions with the kids yesterday. A girl I see twice a week (we will call her A.J.) in the mornings has been REALLY progressing in her ability to (seemingly) understand and follow directions. It's exciting for both her aide and I. She is also vocalizing a lot in music, and I was recently informed that these vocalizations are different than the types of sounds she makes during non-musical activities.

 Her repetition of similar sounds apparently varies from her attempts to articulate melded sounds outside of music, suggesting that she is 'trying to sing' (as her aide commented). I think she is singing for sure! I would love to try recording with her if she will allow it, she has an extremely short attention span and her sessions must progress quickly from one activity to the next to keep her engaged. She also seems to have a lot of energy in music and basically never stops moving. I think next session I will set up a garage band track and see if she is at all interested in hearing her own voice played back to her. I imagine it is something I will have to introduce gradually, and as simply as possible, but I think the implications could be spectacular. Hearing her voice recorded and played back to her could potentially be motivating for her and we can encourage these singing type vocalizations, which are often recognized as the precursor to developing language in clients with communication delays.

(her delays are quite significant, seeing that she is in middle school at this point and working on basic communication methods, but her behaviors have been difficult for many to manage in the past so it was hard to develop effective communication strategies with her I think)


Anyway, just wanted to note the vacation beginning and introduce A.J. who I will probably refer to more in later posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment